Join the Community Garden Club of Camas Washougal October 26 at 1pm for “Plant Identification 101” by Julie Carlsen, Master Gardener.
We all have “surprise” plants in our gardens, or see plants in woods, parkland and sometimes in the “unmarked” area of garden sales areas and wonder, what exactly IS that thing?
Julie’s presentation will teach some of the basics of plant identification.
Classes are free to the public! You don’t have to be a member to attend.
For more info: GardenClubOfCamasWashougal.org
At the end of her presentation, Julie provided the club with some useful references for further learning about Latin plant names and identification:
Botany and Plant Identification
For help with plant identification, these web sites are very helpful:
1. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/153.html (Identifying broadleaf trees & shrubs)
2. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/152.html (Identifying conifers)
3. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/151.html (Identifying trees & shrubs)
6. http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection.php?Page=plantkey.php (Identifying shrubs in flower)
7. http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/wlinks.htm Botany in a Day
1. Elpel, Thomas J. Botany in a Day. Hops Press: Montana 2001
2. Kruckeburg, Arthur R. Gardening with Native Plants of the Pacific Northwest. University of Washington Press: Seattle WA 1982
3. Pojar, Jim and Mackinnon, Andy. Plants of the Pacific Northwest. Lone Pine Publishing: Vancouver, British Columbia 1994